Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Preface

The plan is to type up Korean stories, each of which is a page or so. Then I will offer my translation, followed by a brief commentary. I will do this one story at a time, every week to ten days or so.

Let this add to my contribution among weigukin (외국인~ foreigner)--an interface with English for Korean folktales, as well as translation commentary, and an extra window into Korean culture.

Even if it exists for my own sake, it is good practice for me to translate the tales, using a book of simplified tales called Once Upon a Time in Korea (by In Ku Kim-Marshall). This book helps to translate by providing vocabulary lists with English after each story. Also, each title is translated. At the onset of this blog, I can get through a translation in a couple hours or so, and I hope to get faster, of course. Typing up the stories in Korean is another terrific exercise.

But my hope is that this blog can also offer a springboard to the reader's edification, whether the reader chooses to contribute in translation discussion, to use the translations to study Korean, to contribute similarly with folk tale translations, or in the least, to learn more about Korean culture by looking into the window of stories commonly known to Koreans.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your work, it does provides help at least for me :)
    Too bad there are only few of them here, and the book you mention is impossible to acquire now :'(

    ReplyDelete